Bridge Rats MCC was founded in 1993; steadfast in its origins to the bohemian market town of Hebden Bridge; also known as the ‘Hebden Bridge Rats’ or simply ‘Bridge Rats’. The Club patch represents the old Packhorse Bridge located in the centre of Hebden Bridge that dates back to 1510. The ‘Rat’ which is sat proudly above is a version of a ‘desert rat’ as ‘Chappy’s’ father was a serviceman in the 7th Armoured Brigade in WW2.
In the 1960s, John ‘Chappy’ Chapman who was to become the ‘Hebden Bridge Rats’ president formed a club called the ’51 Club’ that was rocker based and had 12 members. Another club, the Mytholmroyd Motor Cycle Club had met intermittently at the Woodman Inn on Halifax Road in Charlestown for many years until 1988.
Built circa 1902, the Woodman Inn was a large public house situated in a detached position at the end of a terrace named Pleasant View. The terrace destined to become the large car park for the Woodman Inn was demolished by the council in the late 1960s after becoming neglected and reputedly ‘Rat’ infested!
In 1988, an advert was placed in the local paper about a new motorbike rally club starting in the Calder valley that brought about the formation of the Charlestown based Calder Valley MCC. The new club went to rally's and bike runs and grew bigger and bigger, but sadly the club was not doing what ‘Chappy’ thought it should be, so in 1993 he and some of it’s members left to form their own club.